I do not look like my son. Theo has smooth cafe au lait skin like his adoptive (& birth) father and soft curly hair whereas I have light brown hair, angular features and blue eyes. In public, people assume he’s my husband’s child and they can’t figure out where I fit into the mix. Many mothers who have given birth to their children do not look like their children especially those in mixed race marriages. Several Asian mothers (including both of my sister-in-laws) have been stopped in the street and asked if they were their own children’s nanny (ugh). Looking alike helps in the public sphere but it plays no part in how a mother feels about her children. And besides, Theo and I have lots in common!
Ten things we have in common.
1) He loves to laugh.
2) He’s incredibly social and is happiest in the company of people
3) He loves nature and seems calmest outdoors
4) He’s very physical.
5) He loves activity but gets overstimulated easily and needs his quiet time.
6) He’s a big sneezer and his nose is often runny
7) When he’s hungry, he needs to eat RIGHT AWAY.
8) He’s a stylish dresser but likes to hang out in sweats too.
9) He enjoys hanging out at cafes on Main street
10) He’s not that keen on mushy rice cereal
Do you look like your children? How has this affected your family?