This is part of Amber Strocel’s monthly “What I learned” link-up. Check it!
1. Having two parents (meaning us) at home all summer makes the living easy.
2. When your toddler naps at 1 pm, it pays to plan morning activities. One week, we got out of the house by 9 am and visited the bird sanctuary, Emma Lea’s berry farm, Centennial Beach, Hillcrest pool, Steveston water park, the aquarium, and the Caribbean festival.
3. Birthday hats make toddlers even more adorable. (Smashing photo by Amanda at Lilahbility)
4. Never bring a toddler on the verge of a nap to a store! Theo gets hyper-energetic when he’s tired. In a scene that was half comedy, half disaster, I ran around SportMart while Mark tried on shoes and Theo grabbed everything in sight, hid behind racks of clothing and sprinted behind the customer service counter. I finally tackled him and pinned him down on the floor, sweating. The customer service person said, “You’re going to need running shoes to keep up with that kid.”
5. Planning a birthday away from home party is a ton of work but well worth the effort!
6. Sometimes just hanging out naked on the front lawn with your pals is more than enough activity for a sunny day.
7. Language acquisition is a thrilling adventure. Listening to Theo piece together bits of meaning day by day is like a compelling reality television show. Me: “Mark, Mark, he said hot dog!” “What?” “He said HOT DOG!”
8. The djembe (drum) is a hit, in fact we got two. Like most toddlers, Theo loves drumming, and it helps work off some of his excess energy.
9. Drums are great but there’s nothing like Lolo’s piano.
10. Jumping is exhilarating for the tinies.
If you’re not offline at a cottage or swimming in a lake, feel free to share anything you learned this month.